Thursday, August 4, 2011

Tilapia Ceviche

Today was another 100+ degree day in south Texas. When I was planning my dinner, I couldn't bring myself to use a stove or oven and make my apartment (and myself) even hotter. Cold ceviche sounded perfect. I actually only tried it for the first time a week ago, and I decided that I've really been missing out. I picked this particular recipe (one of Emeril's. Here's the original recipe) because it didn't use tomato and cucumber (two things I'm not a fan of, but if you like them, they would be great additions to this!).





Recipe Notes: This is my modified version of his recipe. I used more veggies and different fish, but otherwise I followed it pretty closely.

Tilapia Ceviche:

Ingredients:
1/4 lb. fresh tilapia
2 tbsp red bell pepper, diced
2 tbsp orange (or yellow) bell pepper, diced
1 tbsp serrano pepper, finely diced
2 tbsp red onion, minced
1 garlic clove, minced
Juice from 3 fresh limes
Juice from 1 fresh orange
2 tbsp pineapple juice
1 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
1/2 tsp kosher salt


Cut the fish into 1/4-inch dice. Place in a glass dish with the lime juice, orange juice, pineapple juice, peppers, onions, and garlic, tossing to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 3 to 4 hours, stirring occasionally.

Drain about half of the juice. Add the cilantro, olive oil, and salt. Fold gently to mix.



Comments: This was SUPER easy to make. It's another great "before you go to work" recipe that will be ready to go when you get home. I just ate it with a fork, but you can also put it on baked tortilla chips. This was the perfect "cool and refreshing" meal! I would have to be in the mood for it, but it was definitely a do-over :-)

1 comment: