Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Southwest Scram

I can't believe classes start tomorrow. I'm excited and nervous and scared and really happy all at the same time. I'll keep y'all posted on how my first week goes.

I always make new school-year resolutions, because for students, this is really the start of our year. It gives me a goal and something to work towards, which keeps me more focused in my classes and in other parts of my life. Here's my list of new year's resolutions:

1. Watch my spending, i.e., eat out less than 2 times a week, use more coupons, etc.
2. Finish all of my school work during the week, so I can have weekends free!
3. Keep improving my healthy habits! I've come a long way in the past few weeks, so my plan is to keep up the good work even with a crazy schedule.

Part of goal #1 for me is not letting so much food go bad. I throw away so much food, whether it's leftovers, produce that spoils, or sour milk. That was my dilemma this morning: I knew that a bunch of my produce was running out of time, so I wanted to make something that used as much of it as possible. 

I started raiding my produce drawer, and I found these things: red bell pepper, jalapeño, red onion, cilantro, and 1/2 a can of black beans that I had leftover from the other night. All of these ingredients were screaming "something southwestern!" so I started chopping...and this is what I came up with:



HealthEasy Southwest Scram
Ingredients:
3 tbsp finely chopped red bell pepper
3 tbsp finely chopped red onion
1 tbsp minced fresh jalapeño
2 tbsp canned black beans, drained and rinsed
2 tbsp frozen corn kernels
3 egg whites
1 tbsp salsa (your choice!)
Fresh cilantro leaves to taste

Directions:
In a nonstick skillet sprayed with cooking spray, combine peppers and onion. Cook until onion starts to become translucent. Add in the black beans and corn and cook until both are heated through. Add the egg whites and scramble everything together. Cook until egg is fully cooked and firm. Top with cilantro and salsa.


***You could also add some diced tomatoes in with the black beans and corn! My tomatoes were looking a little sad, so I thought it was best to leave them out.


Good luck to everybody starting classes this week! 

No comments:

Post a Comment