Sunday, May 15, 2011

Fish Tacos with Chipotle Cream

One of my favorite places to eat in San Antonio is Tycoon Flats. They have delicious food, great drinks (Microbrews and Dos-a-ritas? Like.), and the atmosphere is so relaxed. Even though Flats is known for burgers, I love their fish tacos. I wanted find a way to  recreate them, and this recipe from Ellie Krieger had great reviews.

Recipe Notes: 1. For my fish, I used pangasius. I had never even heard of this until a couple months ago when I was at the fish counter looking for tilapia, and I noticed that this stuff was dirt cheap. The fish guy said it was actually pretty good, so I tried it and liked it. It's really mild, but it's a little more moist than tilapia. 2. Instead of chopping my own cabbage, I just used some bagged cole slaw mix from the produce section. 3. I used bottled lime juice in my marinade, just because I had some around. 4. I also didn't feel like getting my grill pan out, so I just used a saute pan to cook the fish.

Ingredients

Fish:
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1 pound white flaky fish fillet, like tilapia or halibut

Chipotle cream:
1/2 cup plain nonfat yogurt
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
2 teaspoons chipotle pepper, in adobo sauce (I finely chopped one pepper and then added about a tablespoon of the adobo sauce. I like it hot!)
8 (6-inch) corn tortillas
1 1/2 cups shredded green cabbage or lettuce
1/2 cup corn kernels (thawed if frozen) (I left these out)
1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
Lime wedges

Directions
In a small bowl, whisk together the oil, lime juice, salt and pepper. Pour over the fish fillets and let marinate for 20 minutes. Put the yogurt into a strainer lined with apaper towel and place over a bowl to drain and thicken for 20 minutes.

Remove the fish from the marinade and grill on a preheated grill or nonstick grill pan over a medium-high heat until cooked thorough, about 3 minutes per side. Set the fish aside on a plate for 5 minutes.

In a small bowl combine the thickened yogurt, mayonnaise, and chipotle pepper.

Heat the tortillas on the grill or grill pan for 30 seconds on each side.

Flake the fish with a fork. Top each tortilla with 1 tablespoon of the chipotle cream. Top with fish, cabbage, corn and cilantro and serve with lime wedges.



Taste Rating: 8
The chipotle cream made the dish. It was such a great flavor!

Easy Rating: 8
Fish cooks so fast, so that was definitely a plus. Another plus, I could get all of my ingredients ready while the fish was marinating. I made the cream, sliced the lime wedges, and got out the cilantro and cabbage. Everything was ready to go, so all I had to do was cook the fish!

Overall Rating: 8

No comments:

Post a Comment