Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Pizza delivery...delicious and nutritious!

I'm still here...just ridiculously busy! Hence the 6:45 am post. Yes, I am already in my office. Yes, I have already finished a chapter of reading this morning. Yes, I was here until 8:30 last night. Yes, I am exhausted.

I don't have a new recipe for you today (sadly :-( I haven't cooked at home in so long I can barely remember), but I DO have a new favorite pizza that I've been ordering for those late-night study sessions, and I wanted to share it!

Obviously, this isn't the "perfect" nutritional balance, but it's not a bad option when you're in a bind and need some carry out. I always have lettuce around, so I usually just toss my own salad to go along with it (with one of my homemade salad dressings, of course! No chemicals/preservatives in my salad, thank you!)

Ok, so here is how I make my pizza...I like to order online, so it's easy to be picky and not feel like I'm seriously confusing whoever is on the other side of the phone

Crust: Thin! Whole wheat is best of course, but I haven't been able to find it. If you know of somewhere with whole wheat thin crust pizza, please leave a comment and let me know!


Cheese: Go easy...you don't need a massive bite of cheese to get that gooey cheesy taste. A little goes a long way.


Meat: Grilled chicken breast or even Canadian bacon...steer clear of sausage, pepperoni, bacon, hamburger, etc. These are loaded with saturated fat.


Veggies: Onion, bell pepper, mushroom, black olives, tomato, jalapeno...anything goes! This is the where you can really go crazy with your pizza. Onion, mushroom, and tomato? Pineapple and jalapeno? All of the above? You choose!

You're looking at about 200 calories per slice, plus MUCH lower in saturated fat, because you're cutting out the greasy meats (could be more...I used an online calorie counter to estimate, so keep that in mind if you're really watching your calorie intake. Most places have nutrition information online, so you can always check there).

This means that 2 slices of pizza plus a salad with 1 tbsp homemade vinaigrette is a complete meal with tons of veggies, some lean protein, healthy fat, and even whole grains if you find somewhere with whole wheat crust. Pizza anyone?

1 comment: