Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Taco Salad

Here is a quick post for a quick lunch! This recipe was inspired by one in my "Healthy College Cookbook." I didn't use their recipe exactly, so I just shared the recipe I used instead. All measurements are estimates, and you can add/subtract any ingredients you want. Some additional ingredient suggestions are tomatoes, avocado, cilantro, olives, etc. Also, if you are serving multiple people, I would recommend just setting out bowls of each ingredient and doing a "build your own salad" bar.

Ingredients
1/2 lb. extra lean ground beef
2-3 tbsp. taco seasoning (you can use the kind in a shaker or the kind in the packets)
1/4 cup red onion, chopped
1/4 cup green bell pepper, chopped
12ish baked tortilla chips
1-2 cups lettuce (I used bagged romaine hearts)
1/2 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup frozen corn kernels
1 tbsp shredded cheddar cheese
2 tbsp salsa

Directions
Brown the ground beef in a nonstick skillet on medium heat. Add the beans and the corn to the skillet and season liberally with taco seasoning. Cook until beans and corn are warmed through.

In a bowl, layer tortilla chips, lettuce, onion, bell pepper, meat/beans/corn, and cheese. Top with salsa.



Taste Rating: 7
I don't know what made it this way, but this was REALLY spicy. I may have overseasoned the meat mixture or added too much salsa, but whatever it was, my mouth was on fire. I didn't taste test the meat, so I have a feeling that was what did it. Regardless of the spice, it was pretty tasty!

Easy Rating: 9
This was so quick and easy to make! The only thing that took any time or effort was browning the meat, which isn't exactly rocket science. Everything else was a breeze. Just throw it in a bowl, and you're done!

Overall: 8.5
The fact that this recipe was so easy gives it a higher rating than just the average of the taste and easy ratings. This really would be perfect if you don't have a lot of time to make a meal but still want something that tastes good. I also chopped up some extra bell pepper and onion to put in a scramble for breakfast tomorrow. Two easy meals in one!

No comments:

Post a Comment