Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Tacos de Bistec

My friends and I love to go to this little Mexican restaurant called La Gloria. They specialize in Mexican "street food," and serve everything from tacos to mortar and pestle dishes. Not to mention the best sangria you've ever tasted. Every time I go to La Gloria I get the same thing: Bistec Tacos. These have become super popular all over the place lately...you can even drive through Taco Cabana and ask for their "street tacos." I wanted to give this a try and see if I could make something as delicious as La Gloria can. I started googling recipes, and I found that they were all pretty much identical. These are beautifully simple and took me literally 10 minutes to make. The recipe I have below makes 2 tacos, since I cook for one most of the time. Just double, quadruple, or whatever you need to do to make more.

Ingredients:
2 Corn Tortillas (I like white corn)
1 tbsp grapeseed oil
1/4 lb. flank or strip steak, sliced thin
S&P
1/4 sweet onion chopped
A couple sprigs of fresh cilantro, chopped (***Do not substitute dried cilantro. It will taste naaasty.)
A couple of lime wedges
Your salsa of choice (I like chipotle)

Directions:
1. Heat the grapeseed oil in a non-stick pan over medium high heat.

2. Trim the extra fat off of the meat if you want to save calories. Sear the meat on both sides, about a minute or two each.




3. In the meantime, chop the onion and cilantro and slice the lime.


4. Cut the cooked meat into small squares or strips.
5. Heat the tortillas in the microwave between two damp paper towels until warm. Mine took about 30 seconds. Top the tortillas with the steak, onions, cilantro, salsa, and squeeze the lime wedges over them.

Taste Rating: 9.5
This almost tasted like La Gloria tacos. The fact that this recipe was pretty standard no matter where I looked leads me to believe that this is pretty much how they make theirs too. Either way, I loved it, and I will definitely be making these again!

Easy Rating: 9
All you need is a little chopping, searing, and slicing. That's it. This whole meal only took about 10 minutes to make. In fact, I cooked, ate, cleaned, and wrote this blog entry in under an hour. If you're pressed for time, this is a PERFECT recipe.

Overall Rating: 9.5
I may never spend money at La Gloria again, now that I know I can do this on my own. Actually, that's a lie. Nothing will ever beat their sangria...

No comments:

Post a Comment